Monday, May 21, 2012

getting into my dirty laundry ( long)

    I have been having more and more interest in making my own homemade cleaners since seeing several recipes on pintrest. I must confess hesitation, however,  because I wanted to be sure that it cleaned well.

 My first main concern...laundry soap. My husband and I only have about 4 loads (5 if you count army stuff)
between us a week and each of my kids does about 3. In just laundry that's 10 loads a week. Factoring in the cheaper brands like Gain, Arm and Hammer, or even the cheapest I have seen Xtra. Say the cheapest I have seen for a 70 load bottle may be $8.00 (conservatively) That's $16 every 2 months for laundry soap. That's about $96 dollars a year in CHEAP laundry soap. Well my friend Angela does way more laundry then I ever will (she has 5 kids) has tried several recipes for laundry soap and gave me a sample of the power one she tried and LIKED ( 5 kids ..again if she likes it I trust her judgement). 

I have to say I loved it! It does not leave my clothes smelling funny ( a problem some people have had when making their own soap) , it dissolved COMPLETELY in my washer even in cold water. ( That has been an issue with my machine since get go. ), and it does not make a lot of suds which makes it great for front loaders. It even looks pretty see?

To make your own go here for instructions, but since I started on cost that's where I am gonna finish. 


1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax $3.00

1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- Found in the detergent aisle $3.00

1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean- Found in the detergent aisle. (This is optional but I highly recommend adding it) $8.00

2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap- Found in the detergent aisle (we chose to do pink for the scent but the white would be just fine. You can also use Fels Naptha) $2.00( you could use any bar soap Angela's sample had dove in it)

2 (2 lb)  ( or 1 4 Lbs. box) Boxes of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- Found in the cooking aisle  $5.00

1-2 (55 oz) Bottle of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener- Found in the detergent aisle (This is 100% optional. ) $4.00

Plus I spent another $7 for a 5 gallon bucket to mix everything in. So total I spent about $32 dollars but since I only have to buy the bucket once $25. This made about 2.5 gallons of powdered soap.  To get a rough estimate the sample I got was a sandwich baggie. Using the non conservative 2 T of soap it lasted us 2 and a half weeks. Yes you read that right a sandwich bag of this stuff lasted as long as half a bottle of regular soap. The link says she did 40 loads and has only used half the bottle....that's 80 loads ( one bottle of cheap detergent) plus you have enough left over to fill it at least 4 more times. That's approx 320 loads for $25.00! If not more.  And let's face it for Tide or name brand detergent you are spending roughly $20 for one 148 load bottle.
Yup, I can do this and save my family roughly $50 bucks a year.  Heck that's like going to a free movie!
Next I need to tackle fabric softner but seeing as I just bought a huge bottle it may be awhile before you get reviews on that one.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Stormee said...

I like your thinking!!!!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Sounds like success!!! Is it terribly wrong that I will just continue to buy Tide? I won't save money, but I'm lazy. And ok with that, lol!

Denice said...

Hmmmmm....

My grandmother used to make her own laundry and lye soap...but that was DECADES ago!!

Pretty and economical = win/win!!

:Dxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails