Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Teacher Applicant


I got this from fellow sister Shannon, I loved it so much I thought I would share it with you guys.

After being interviewed by the school administration, the prospective teacher said: “Let me see if I've got this right. 'You want me to go into that room with all those kids, correct their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse, monitor their dress habits, censor their T-shirt messages, and instill in them a love for learning. 'You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, and raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride. 'You want me to teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, and how to register to vote, balance a checkbook, and apply for a job. 'You want me to check their heads for lice, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, and make sure that they all pass the final exams. 'You also want me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps, and communicate regularly with their parents in English, Spanish or any other language, by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card. 'You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps. 'You want me to do all this and then you tell me... ”I CAN'T PRAY?!?!?!”

Teachers are asked to put up with a lot and are blamed when kids fail. They get yelled at by parents who think their kids can do no wrong and then most go home to their own families and continue to work grading papers, making lesson plans and try to come up with inventive ways to make learning fun. Bad teachers are out there and they suck ...hard. But more often then not they care tremendously for their kids.
Teachers in my opinion do not get paid enough!

Photobucket

6 comments:

Bridgett Owens said...

I agree! Teachers are underpaid and their role of being an instructor is stretched to the limit with all the extras (and even more I am sure) duties that fall to them. I have read that teacher story before and I love it! It's so true!!! I saw somewhere that said as long as there are tests in school there will be prayer in school! LOL I think as Christians we need to pray for the safety of our children, their fellow students and all members of the faculty!
Hugs,
Bridgett

Anonymous said...

I AGREE!!!

I actually used to be a High School teacher and I hated it. Now I'm a nanny and I make just as much, if not more, than I did as a teacher. Sad.

Josh is a teacher and let me tell you, we definitely struggle with our bills and he puts SO MUCH into his job.

Pam said...

Amen! I used to teach... and I still wonder how I made it through. Teachers' work days are 24 hours- not the 7-3 most people think of... summers off? NOPE- the summer is spent at workshops and conferences preparing for the next year... and pay is definitely not enough!! Thank you for your post! I've read that before, but it's so relevant and becoming more so as time passes!

kc_froglady said...

growing up as a child of 2 teachers and watching the things now as an adult that my dad has to still deal with I often wonder why he does it. If it weren't for prayer I don't think he still would be!

Kathy W said...

Amen, my kids have been blessed to have awesome teachers.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I agree 100%!! I love Bella's teacher!

Related Posts with Thumbnails